When Slower Means More in the Glass: The 5 Best Masticating Juicer
It is recommended that we should at least have about 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. For some, consuming that much fruits and veggies can be difficult, juicing can be a good option to get your daily dose of fruits and veggies and a masticating juicer can be a big help.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What is Juicing?
Most Fruits and vegetables contain a lot of water. Most fruits are at least 85% water. When you toss fruits and vegetables into a juicer, you are separating their water conetnt and pulp. The result will give you a highly concentrated liquid complete with all the vitamins and minerals from the fruits and vegetables. This process is called juicing and you need a juicer to do it efficiently.
There are at least 4 types of juicers in the market - Centrifugal, Masticating, Triturating, Hydraulic and Manual juicers. The most common juicers are the centrifugal juicer and masticating juicer.
Centrifugal vs Masticating
The centrifugal juicer is often the most affordable and widely available. A masticating juicer is basically new in the market and is more of a high end device.
To extract juice from fruit, a centrifugal juicer first transforms it into a pulp. It then spins the pulp, through centrifugal force, to allow the juice to separate from the fruit. Oxidation occurs during the process causing the enzymes in fruits to get lost. Centrifugal juicers also tend to get really hot affecting the juice it produces.
To extract juice from fruit, a masticating juicer slowly squeezes the fruit. Juice comes out at the bottom of the juicer and the pulp is pushed all the way to the end. Juice produced by masticating juicers tend to last longer because almost no oxidation occurs during the process. These juicers do not produce heat thus no enzymes are lost. It is also capable of juicing green leafy vegetables and also herbs.
Omega Nutrition Center Juicer (J8006)
It can juice fruits, vegetables, including green leafy vegetables and even wheatgrass. It juices slowly (80 rpm) thus it does not heat up and not cause food to lose their enzyme content. This makes the juice healthy and nutritious.
It can extract the maximum amount of juice, vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables. Its slow operation also allows the fruits and vegetables to retain its natural color and taste.
It does not produce heat thus oxidation does not occur while juicing. This allows the juice it produces to remain fresh even after 2 days. Its powerful motor allows it to juice even hard fruits with ease.
This machine juices in 2 stages. First it crushes fruits and vegetables to extract juice. Before it discards the pulp, it is further squeezed to extract more juice. This allows more juice to be produced from lesser amounts fruits and vegetables.
This juicer comes with non-juicing related attachments: pasta nozzles can instantly make a dough extrude spaghetti and linguini. It also features a food processor for easy preparation of soft and baby foods.
It also has a homogenizer for frozen desserts and baby food. This device can also grind coffee beans. All parts of the juicer are dishwasher-safe and the machine comes with a 15-year warranty.
- Does not produce oxygenated juice because it juices slowly.
- 2-stages of juicing produces dry pulp which means all juices have been extracted.
- Natural juice produced remains fresh for up to 2 days because no heat gets into contact with the juice.
- It can juice both soft and hard fruits and vegetables, including green leafy vegetables, beans and nuts with ease.
- Has a quiet operation
- All components are dishwasher safe.
- Comes with a hefty price.
- Juice container does not have measurement markings.
If you want to take your juicer to a higher level and with much seriousness, this may be the juicer for you.
Omega Dual-Stage Vertical Single Auger Low Speed Juicer (VRT350)
This machine comes in a compact vertical design making it use up just a small area of your countertop. It has a larger feeding slot so you do not need to chop fruits and vegetables into small pieces before juicing.
You also do not need to exert too much effort with the pusher. Its slow operation allows more amount of natural tasting juice to be extracted from fruits and vegetables.
Juice is squeezed out of the fruits and vegetables as well as from pulps easily. It allows enzymes to remain intact and juice remains fresh for at least 72 hours. Spouts are large so extracted juice gets to the glass fast.
This machine assembles easily. Parts also disassemble as easily for cleaning and storage. The nice thing about this model is it cleans on its own (auto-cleaning). It has a quiet operation, too. It is easy to operate with only ON/OFF/Reverse buttons. Press the reverse button to unclog the nozzles. This juicer comes with a 10-year warranty.
- 80 rpm slow operation for highly flavorful, natural and nutritious juices.
- More juice for lesser fruits and vegetables also because of its slow operation.
- Large feeding slot so food does not need to be chopped into small pieces.
- Heavy-duty machine for continuous stress-free juicing.
- Cheaper than most Omega Masticating juicers but with the same basic features and durability.
- Compact design and quiet operation.
- Cleans and stores easily.
- Although cheaper than most Omega models, it is still expensive.
- Sometimes produces a froth and foam.
If you are looking for a high powered masticating juicer from a reliable brand that is not too expensive, this may be your best option.
Breville Masticating Slow Juicer (BJS600XL)
This machine comes in a compact vertical design allowing it to easily fit on your countertop and easily stored in the cabinet. It has a slow and quiet operation. Soft and hard fruits and vegetables are easily squeezed to come up with the maximum amount of juice from the food it processes.
Juicing is done through a 2-stage process which maximizes the juice yield. First stage extracts juice from the fruit and vegetables and the end stage extracts juice from the pulp.
This machine comes with a Juice Jug where all the extracted juice flows and a Pulp Container where the dry pulp goes. On the Juice bowl, where the juicing action takes place is a filter basket so you can get the machine cleaned and ready for the next batch of juicing. Simply allow about 1 cup of water to flow in the machine while it is running.
This juicer comes with a simple and easy ON/OFF/Reverse operation. It runs on a 240 watt powerful motor that operates without transferring heat into the food being juiced keeping enzyme content intact.
- Quiet operation.
- Automatically shuts off when machine is overloaded.
- Reverse control (in both directions) makes the machine clog-free.
- Filter basket enhances the purification process to increase juice yield. It also makes cleaning the machine easier.
- Some parts are not dishwasher safe.
- Short 1 year warranty.
If you are opting for a masticating juicer that is compact in size and cleans very easily, this may be what you need.
Tribest Twin Gear Cold Press Juice Extractor (GSE-5000)
This masticating juicer features 3 juicing stages for a fully complete masticating process made possible by the huge twin gears. First the fruit or vegetable is crushed and then mixed. Finally, they are pressed or squeezed. All these processes are done in a slow 110 rpm.
These processes allow for higher amounts of juice that are to be extracted from the fruits and vegetables. Extracted juice are all natural and high in nutritional value with all vitamins and minerals intact.
The amount of pressure applied to extract juice from pulp is adjustable depending on the fruit or vegetable being processed to ensure maximum juice extraction. This device comes with fine and coarse screens for to extract juice from food with less pulp and those with more pulp respectively.
Included also is a homogenizer for food processing, a maker for breadsticks, and a glass pitcher A plunger (wooden) is also included for ease in pushing hard fruits and vegetables for extraction. A plastic plunger for soft food items. A convenient cleaning brush also comes with the set. This kitchen gadget comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Features a 3 stage fully complete masticating process for more nutritional juice extraction.
- Comes with a wooden plunger for hard fruits and a plastic one for soft ones.
- Pulp pressure is easy to adjust so the right amount of pressure is exerted for a particular fruit.
- Design allows only fewer parts to be cleaned.
- Easily gets stained.
If you are one who enjoys juicing any fruit and vegetable and wants to be ensured of a high juice yield, this twin fear powered juices may be a wise choice.
Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer White with Sortbet Maker (B6000W)
A super slow masticating juicer at 60 rpm. Slow in speed means more juice extracted with natural flavors from a small amount of fruits and vegetables. The auger (ULTEM juicing screw) is powered by a 240 watt brushless type motor to ensure a powerful low speed operation.
Low speed operation also prevents oxidation and heat from getting into contact with the juice ensuring enzymes and high value nutrients remain intact. This machine is easy to clean with the included cleaning tools.
The Set comes with a sorbet maker (a blank strainer) for easy to make frozen desserts. All plastic parts are BPA free and the unit comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Low speed operation ensures full juice extraction.
- Oxidation and heat free juice is ensured to keep natural juice taste, color, enzymes and vitamins and minerals intact.
- Wide mouthed feeder allows large chunks of food to be processed without chopping saving preparation and processing time.
- Quiet operation
- Easy to clean
- More expensive than most top-rated masticating juicers.
- Often jams and clogs e when juicing wheatgrass, kale and even celery.
- Automatically shuts off when overheating. The Thing is it automatically shuts off often because it easily heats up.
If you do a lot of juicing, this workhorse will give you long years of service.
A masticating juicer gives you more juice for a less amount of fruits and vegetables without distorting its natural color, taste and built-in nutritional value. The Omega Dual-Stage Vertical Single Auger Low Speed Juicer (VRT350) is the juicer I like the most. It is compact but powerful. It looks beautiful on the kitchen counter, too. Are you into juicing? Share with us some of your thoughts in the comments section.