The Best Convection Microwave For Your Kitchen
When you have a convection microwave, you have a microwave oven and a conventional oven. You will be able to do the fast and convenient microwave cooking and at the same time have an appliance to make your baking goodies and everything you cook in an oven.
Having two appliances in one compact unit makes a convection microwave ideal for small kitchens. The best convection microwaves have the best features of a microwave oven and can match the cooking functions of large conventional ovens.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
A microwave oven uses radio waves to heat food from the inside and out thus it is able to cook food fast. A conventional oven uses heat and fans to circulate heat to cook food from the outside and in. When you cook food in a convection microwave it will be cooked fast (microwave feature) and at the same time have brown or crisp food (convection oven feature).
Advantages of Using a Convection Microwave
If you need a new microwave and an oven, going for a convection microwave might be your best and intelligent choice. A convection microwave may be more expensive than a microwave oven. The price however of convection microwave is more affordable than purchasing a separate microwave and oven.
What you can do in a microwave and oven, you can very well do in a convection microwave. If you closely look at a convection microwave, you will find out it is an appliance that offers a lot of advantages.
- Space Saver
Having two appliances in one will definitely save you on space especially if you have a small kitchen. This appliance can be installed in kitchen cabinets just like you would do with a microwave oven because they are much smaller than a traditional oven.
- Fast and Effective
You can do microwave cooking, bake a cake and grill steak in a fast and effective way.
- Energy Saver
A convection microwave requires shorter cooking time. Fans are included to circulate air within the unit thus food cooks fast. These units also come with lower electrical consumption.
- Savings in Time
It takes faster to cook the same food in a convection microwave than in a conventional oven. A pound of meat would usually take 20 minutes to cook in an oven. Cooking the same meat in a convection oven would only take about 10 minutes.
- Easy to Clean
A convection microwave has lesser parts to clean than a traditional oven. Being smaller than an oven, it has a smaller area to clean.
A microwave oven is perfect for reheating food. A more complex cooking method is not feasible in this appliance. You can cook full meals fast in a convection microwave. Food not only cooks fast, but they have the best results too. You can also evenly bake your favorite cake and cookies.
Features to Look for in Buying the Best Convection Microwave
A convection microwave as mentioned offers the convenience of microwave cooking with the versatility of an oven. To get the most of your convection microwave here are 5 of the most important features you need to look for in considering a particular brand or model.
1. Ease of use
A good convection microwave needs to have easy-to-use controls. In short, it should be user friendly. It would be too much of a hassle to continuously refer to the Owner’s Manual each time you need to use a particular cooking option. A single button to start any cooking option is the best. A good convection microwave needs to have automatic functions so the appliance automatically adjusts cooking times (sensor cooking).
2. Easy to Clean
There is nothing more important in an appliance than ease in cleaning. A good convection microwave does not have too many holes and crevices on its exterior where grease and food can easily get trapped making it difficult to clean.
While it is common for small household appliances to come in a compact design, it is important to check that cooking dishes will conveniently fit. It is not enough for dishes to fit, there should be room for ventilation so food will cook with the best results. Standard clearance between the cooking dish and the appliance must at least be 5 cm each on both sides, 15 – 35 cm on top and 10 cm at the back.
A convection microwave can get really hot all over especially when in convection mode. Extremely hot surfaces can get to be really dangerous. Good insulation will prevent the exterior of the appliance from getting hot.
5. Combination cooking
Convection microwaves have 3 setting; Microwave, Convection and Mixed/Combination. When in mixed or combination mode (simultaneous microwave and convection cooking), a good convection microwave must give best results. Mixed/Combination cooking is best for chicken, meat and vegetables; or baking fish, stews and potato.
The Top 5 Best Convection Microwave
When convection microwaves were first introduced, they were highly priced. Today, they have become more affordable. Although a microwave is more affordable than a convection microwave, having this kind of appliance offers features far more than what a microwave and conventional oven can singly offer.
Cuisinart CMW-200 1.2-Cubic-Foot Convection Microwave Oven with Grill
The Cuisinart CMW-200 1.2-Cubic-Foot Convection Microwave Oven with Grill does what a conventional microwave oven does and more! This sleek looking appliance will I believe fit in with the interiors of every kitchen. It’s 1.2 Cubic feet capacity makes it feasible for commercial use too.
- Has convection capability and can therefore be a second oven in your kitchen.
- Grill option makes it a versatile appliance.
- Equipped with pre-programmed settings for reheating, cooking fresh or frozen vegetables, pizza, roasting chicken, baking cake and making popcorn.
- Preset settings includes options for weight and size of food for accurate cooking.
- Comes with a midway signal when in grill option to allow you to turn food.
- Stainless steel interior guarantees odor-free operations.
- 12-inch rotating glass tray for even cooking.
- Easy to use touchpad buttons with LCD display.
- Multi-stage cooking option allows the easy shifting from one stage to another.
- Express cook option ( 30 seconds) for small amounts of food.
- Rotating glass tray is noisy.
- Door can be difficult to open.
- Takes time to heat when cooking in high temperatures.
The Cuisinart CMW-200 1.2-Cubic-Foot Convection Microwave Oven with Grill may take some time to heat when you need to cook with a high temperature and the rotating glass tray may be a bit noisy but for its price and a lot of amazing features this convection microwave is a good buy.
GE PVM9179SFSS Profile 1.7 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave – Convection
The GE PVM9179SFSS Profile 1.7 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave – comes with 3 ovens so you can cook just about anything in it. It is a microwave oven, an oven for even baking and a convection and microwave for fast cooking.
- Stainless steel and over the range type design makes it a space saver and easy to use and clean appliance.
- A good replacement for a conventional oven because it does what an oven can do (convection cooking).
- 1.7 cubic feet capacity gives more leeway in kind and size of cookware to use.
- Easy to use and neatly arranged controls with LED display.
- Equipped with soft touch buttons for Beverage, Microwave Express, Popcorn, Warm, Auto Cook and Power Level.
- Equipped with soft touch buttons for Convection Bake, Convection Roast and Combination Fast Bake.
- No need to turn pan over to ensure even cooking for convection roast and bake options.
- Bakes and roasts faster than conventional oven.
- Defrost and reheat functions.
- Comes with pre-programmed settings to eliminate guesswork in cooking times and power requirements.
- Comes with a “Warm” option so you can keep food warm in the oven without overcooking.
- Capable of converting standard recipes to convection method allowing the cooking of complete meals.
- Dial type timer takes some time to get used to.
If you want to have a conventional microwave oven that can double as an oven this GE PVM9179SFSS Profile 1.7 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave can be a viable option. Reading its superb features you may think that it is a high priced appliance but if you check out its price, you will be surprise that it is extremely affordable.
Sharp R830BK 900 Watts Convection Microwave Oven, 0.9 cu.ft, Black
The Sharp R830BK 900 Watts Convection Microwave Oven (Carousel) allows you to churn up full meals. This appliance is a convection microwave with options for microwave cooking, convection cooking (oven) and combination convection and microwave cooking.
- Stainless steel interior for easy cleaning.
- Carousel type turntable for even cooking.
- Equipped with an auto defrost function based on weight and time.
- Versatile appliance with six auto roast options and seven auto cook options.
- Equipped with 6 pre-programmed keys for dinner plate, any frozen meals, popcorn, potatoes, fresh and frozen vegetables.
- Comes with a Help key for instant cooking and programming instructions.
- Includes a built-in digital clock and timer to ensure perfectly cooked dishes.
- Convection System comes with upper and lower heating elements to allow the cooking of a wide range of meals.
- Capable of roasting and baking (convection cooking) at 100ºF to 450ºF.
- Efficient at 900 watts.
- Turntable is a little difficult to clean.
The Sharp R830BK 900 Watts Convection Microwave Oven (Carousel) gives superb performance with only 900 watts when other appliance require 1000 watts. That said, this convection microwave is an intelligent buy.
GE Cafe CEB1590SSSS 23" 1.5 Cu. Ft. Capacity ADA Compliant Built In 1000 Watt Convection Microwave Oven
The GE Cafe CEB1590SSSS 23" 1.5 Cu. Ft. Convection Microwave Oven has a countertop design with 1000 microwave watts. Its 1.5 cubic feet capacity enables flexibility in preparing a wide variety of dishes. Convection cooking ensures fast cooking and its built-in Sensor Controls makes sure food is cooked to perfection.
- Baking and browning of food is a breeze with convection function.
- Removable oven rack makes multi-level (simultaneous) cooking possible.
- Sensor cooking makes sure food does not get over-cooked since power and time are adjusted accordingly.
- Removable oven rack allows oven space to be maximized for cooking large quantities of food.
- Easy to handle Control Dial for simple and easy operations.
- Equipped with a Hard Food Disposer.
- ADA (American with Disabilities Act) Compliant.
- Popcorn, Reheat, Beverage, Cook options with Defrost and Express functions.
- Does not come with a setting to program additional time.
The GE Cafe CEB1590SSSS 23" 1.5 Cu. Ft. Convection Microwave Oven is an easy to use basic convection microwave oven. I like the fact that it has the capacity to cook large amounts (with rack removed) of food just like what a conventional oven can.
GE PSA9120SFSS Profile Advantium 1.7 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave – Convection
The GE PSA9120SFSS Profile Advantium 1.7 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave – Convection is equipped with halogen heat thus there is no need for pre-heating. This convection microwave allows the storing of of up to 30 recipes including procedures.
- Halogen heat eliminates pre-heating and ensures even heat distribution.
- Simple and easy to use multiple cooking functions.
- Equipped with backlit controls and easy to read LCD display.
- Attractive and aesthetic design.
- Easy to clean
- An all in one oven ( microwave, convection, combination) for cooking versatility.
- Comes with a 3-speed 300-CFM venting system
This highly versatile convection microwave works best in preparing quick meals, re-heating leftovers and defrosting frozen food. The halogen heaters are amazing. It remains lighted as food is being cooked. Then it goes off to allow the microwave to cook the inside of the food.
A convection microwave is always a welcome addition to a kitchen. It is perfect if you do not have enough space for a microwave and an oven. It is also a good option if you need a second oven. The best thing about this appliance is it cooks full meals just like an oven and in a fast and quick way just like a microwave.
The GE PVM9179SFSS Profile 1.7 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave may come with a dial type timer (something rather uncommon at this times) but that is the only flaw I have seen in this convection microwave. I like the fact it has a 1.7 cubic feet capacity which could easily fit in almost any type and size of cookware and bakeware. I also like the idea that I do not need to turn the pan midway when roasting and baking. For its price, this is indeed a true value for money appliance!