How To Make A Taco Shaped Cake: In 3 Easy Ways
Ever since my daughter turned 1 year old, I have always made her birthday cake. I would get ideas based on what her passion was for the year. For her first birthday, I made her a Barney designed cake. From her second to eleventh birthdays, I designed her cake based on what she was “crazy” about for that year. I did fairies, the Disney princesses, the carousel and Hello Kitty. I even made Barbie for her 11th birthday. For her 12th birthday, she specifically requested for a “grown-up” cake.
While cracking my head thinking of a grown-up cake for a 12-year-old, I chanced upon a blog that talked about cakes that looked like food. Bingo! I knew what I was going to make. My daughter adores taco. So, a taco-like birthday cake it was for my little lady! After hours on the Internet, I was finally able to put the pieces together on how to make a taco shaped cake.
There are several variations how to make a taco shaped cake. For taco shells, you can either make it from scratch by baking a round cake you could shape into a taco shell, you can use also melted candies or a cookie dough. For the fillings, you can use candies or colored frostings.
Method 1: The Melted Candies and Cupcake Taco
What You Will Need?
- Round-shaped cut-out, 5 x 8 inches
- Wax paper, 10 x 10 inches
- 2 Tablespoon Black Sugar or White Sugar mixed with Black food coloring
- Candy Melts, yellow ( use candies that easily melt in the microwave)
- Step 1: Position the 5 x 8-inch round-shaped cut-out on your working table.
- Step 2: Position the 10 x 10-inch wax paper on top of the round-shaped cut out so candies will not stick on the cut-out paper.
- Step 3: Melt Candy Melts as per package instructions.
- Step 4: Lightly dredge wax paper with black sugar.
- Step 5: Work the black sugar within the 5x8 round shape cut out below the wax paper
- Step 6: Place melted candies on the wax paper.
- Step 7: Use the back of the spoon to evenly spread melted candies within the round shaped cut out guide.
- Step 8: Set aside to cool or until candy is shiny.
What You Need
- Prepared melted Candy Circle.
- 1 cup Chocolate Icing
- Step 1: Place sliced cupcakes on one side of the melted Candy Circle, about 1 inch from the edge.
- Step 2: Fold the other side of the melted Candy Circle over the cupcake. Make sure edges of both sides are of the same height.
- Step 3: Place the melted Candy Circle with cupcakes inside in the refrigerator.
- Step 4: Allow Candy taco shell to harden for about 30 minutes.
- Step 5: After 30 minutes, remove hardened “taco shell” from the refrigerator.
- Step 6: Place chocolate icing over the cupcake pieces.
- Step 7: Thoroughly cover cupcake pieces with chocolate icing.
Complete your Taco Cake by topping it with faked lettuce, tomato and cheese.
What You Need
- Soft assorted colored candies
- Candy Taco Shell with Taco Filling
- Step 1: Slice green, red and yellow candies into small bits and pieces to mimic shredded lettuce, tomatoes and cheese.
- Step 2: Place on top of the taco filling.
Method 2: The Taco Shaped Cake
The Taco Shell
Make Taco shaped cake with 2 round cakes.
What You Will Need
- Vanilla Cake Mix, 1 box.
- Yellow Frosting.
- Round Baking Pans, 8-inches.
- Step 1: Bake 2 layers 8 of an inch round Vanilla cakes as per package instructions.
- Step 2: Let cool.
- Step 3: Make 2 semi-circles out of each layer of round Vanilla cake. Make sure one semi-circle cake is larger than the other.
- Step 4: Let 1 small and large semi-circle cake stand.
- Step 5: Paste both semi-circle cakes with yellow frosting with 1 cake higher than the other.
- Step 6: Trim the sides to make a perfect taco shell.
- Step 7: Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the remaining semi-circles.
- Step 8: Allow cake taco shells to freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Step 9: Remove cake from freezer.
- Step 10: Scrape some cake from the top of the taco shell for the taco filling.
What You Will Need
- Vanilla Frosting.
- Green Food Coloring.
- Yellow Food Coloring.
- 1 cup Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup Cornflakes
- 6 pieces Citrus Peanuts
- 6 pieces Swedish Fish
- Vanilla Wafer Crumbs, finely crushed
- Chocolate Crunch Candies
- Freezer Bag
- Step 1: Combine some green and yellow food coloring to make a bright green color.
- Step 2: Add yellow food coloring to the remaining Vanilla frosting.
- Step 3: Place 1 cup chocolate frosting in a freezer bag.
- Step 4: Place green frosting in microwave for 5 seconds.
- Step 5: Add in corn flakes. (for lettuce)
- Step 6: Place on wax paper and allow to dry.
- Step 7: Cut into strips citrus peanuts. (for cheese)
- Step 8: Cut into bits Swedish Fish (for tomatoes)
Assembling the Taco Cake
- Step 1: Cover the taco shells with yellow frosting.
- Step 2: Sprinkle Vanilla Wafer Crumbs.
- Step 3: Place taco shell on a serving platter.
- Step 4: Pour chocolate frosting on the center of the taco shell.
- Step 5: Place chocolate crunch candies on top.
- Step 6: Toss in the green cornflakes, Swedish Fish and Citrus Peanuts.
Method 3: Cookie Dough Taco Shell
The Taco Shell
A cookie dough will make a perfect taco shell. A cookie dough is easier to handle especially when you use a snickerdoodle cookie dough.
What You Need
- 2 cups Butter
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 ½ cups Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 4 cups Oat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- Round shaped cut out
- Round Vanilla Cake
- Chocolate Frosting
- Step 1: Thoroughly mix cinnamon and granulated sugar. Set aside.
- Step 2: Place butter in a mixing bowl. Add in brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla.
- Step 3: Blend well until smooth.
- Step 4: Toss in oat flour, cinnamon, salt and cream of tartar.
- Step 5: Mix until dough becomes firm.
- Step 6: Scoop the dough and form into a round shape using the round shaped cut out as a guide. Make a really thin round dough.
- Step 7: Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture on the dough.
- Step 8: Keep in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to make it firm.
- Step 9: Bake the dough until golden brown. Let cool.
- Step 10: Fold half of the dough to form the shape of a taco shell.
- Step 1: Cut Vanilla round cake into half.
- Step 2: Pour Chocolate Frosting over the cake.
- Step 3: Stuff cake into the taco shell.
You can use any of the toppings presented above.
I have presented above three ways to make “taco shells” for a taco shaped cake. The melted candies and cupcake combination is the easiest to make. But I like the Cookie Dough Taco Shell the best. Try out the 3 ways on how to make taco shape cake and tell us what you think in the comments section. If you have other ways of making a taco shape cake, share it with us.